Sunday, 20 March 2016

Who am I?


Each day, after finish dressing up, I do some glancing at the plane mirror by the side of the wall in my simply furnished room. I do this always for the reason best expressed in my mind rather than spoken. This mirror, with the amount of light rays shining on it and its great size is capable of reflecting from my hair to the nails on my toes when I stand at an exact distance to glance.

The mirror is so clear that it reflects the newly styled coloured dress I got from Jumia, brings out my curves as a young woman, my pink lips and Brazilian hair inclusively.

My mirror is so unique that is gives the real image of the one standing in its front. As unique as this mirror is, it is still defective; incapable of revealing the real me- the one the inside me. It lacks the capacity to truly reflect who I truly am. It can show my outward appearance, my outward beauty, but haven’t been able to answer one question that bulges my heart; the question of who am i?

No matter how closely I glance, how long I spend gazing, how thoroughly I clean the surface, it can’t! I am with many friends, countless in school, others in groups and few as close friends; they seem to know me well. They call me sweet names like; ‘bestie’, school friend, pen friend, girlfriend, good friend, dearie, family friend, they also flirt around with me, some even scorn me, Still none can tell me who I am!

My dad is a unique man, who provides and cares for his children, he calls me “my apple” but then he hasn’t told me who I am, I doubt if he even knows, if he does, he wouldn’t hid it from me. How about mum, in whose hand I grew intimately, gazed closed into her eyes for years while sucking her breast. She desires to see her daughter grow more beautiful by the day, but she haven’t shown me who I am through those eye contacts in upbringing.

In the same vein, as I groove the social media every now and then, I see so many amazing celebrities with different styles, each popping up the screen of my big phone. Each of whom I found interesting and followed up. “Being one of them would make me feel better” I muttered to myself always. Then I can’t help it. A voice tells me, I am not anyone of them. Yes a voice! The voice which usually tells me that I am different! That same voice gets me uncomfortable whenever I tried to compare myself with my friends.
Though I know that I am different, yet I can’t affirm it, i know I have a different outlook, a different DNA, an entirely incomparable fingerprint in the whole world! I still need to answer the questions; who am i? Why am I here on earth? What am I living for? These are questions to ponder; questions to diligently seek answers to individually, not from the image reflected by the mirror, not from friends’ comments, not even from dad or mum, but from the word of God, from God the creator; the master planner who planned our lives individually and uniquely. 1 peter 2:9-12.

I’ve come to discover that the purpose of God for my life is in His word, the more of the His word I know the better understanding of myself I will have.
Do you know who you are?













1 comment:

  1. Each day, after am finish dressing up, I do some glancing at the plane mirror by the side of the wall in my simply furnished room. I do this always for the reason best expressed in my mind rather than spoken. This mirror, with the amount of light rays shining on it and its great size is capable of reflecting from my hair to the nails on my toes when I stand at an exact distance to glance.

    The mirror is so clear that

    ReplyDelete