Tuesday, 29 September 2015

MAKING CHOICES


I call heaven and earth to witness this day against you
 that I have set before you life and death, 
the blessings and the curses; 
therefore choose life,
 that you and your descendants 
may live.
 Deut 30:19
Deciding not to make any decision is a decision on its own






We all make choice every day. Most of them don’t seems so important such as: 


What cloths will I wear?
How much should I eat?
Shall I help at home?
 
Yet, when you think about it, these small everyday choices form your habits and mould your character. Your everyday choices are more important than you realise. Your response to them determine whether in 20 years time you are great and helpful or otherwise.
Other Choices such as


What school should I go to?
What subjects should I study?
Who should I marry?
come less often and so appear more important.

Sometimes you should sit down and think about your choices. It could help to make a chart like this

Reason for choosing A                                            Reason for choosing B
Short term _________________                                _____________________
Long term __________________                               _____________________

            Reason for not choosing A                                  Reason for not choosing B
Short term _________________                                ______________________
Long term __________________                              ______________________

In the chart, the short term means the results of the choice in the next day or two, long term means the results of the choices in say 5 years’ time.
For example, the short term result for choosing to eat a lot of chocolate may be a good feeling in your mouth and tummy. The long term result may be tooth decay pain expense and loose of teeth. for more info contact.

AIDS is mainly passed by sex. Sexual intercourse may sometimes seems a good short term choice to young people but it can have bad long term results. There may be other dangers in your society such as drugs or drinking to which the same principles apply. You can sure work out for yourself how you should behave and what are the long term results of the choices you make today. These are examples of things that may give you short term pleasure and popularity but long term pain and sorrow 

On the other hand, if you choose today to study hard, the short term result may be tiredness and not being able to go to place with your friends. The long term results may be success in exams, in a career and in a good life.
Don’t you think you need to think long term when your make important decision?
Remember you are a product of your actions and your actions are product of the choices you made.
Adapted from Adventure unlimited by David and Janet Cunningham 
  






 

No comments:

Post a Comment